CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

"I came that they might have life, and have it abundantly" -John 10:10

Keeping up with the Poulsen Family

Monday, May 16, 2011

Welcome Kathryn Kay!

On May 5, Jake and I were blessed beyond our imagination with our amazing daughter, Kathryn Kay Poulsen.  This last week and half with her has been the best, albeit busiest, of our lives.  She took awhile to get here, but once she did, our lives were changed for the better!

I started having contractions on Monday morning, May 2, which happened to be my first day off of work.  Jake and I were naive, looking back, and thought we would have our little one by that night!  After a day of waiting, we realized it might be a little longer, and thought she would for sure show up on her (or his at that point) due date, which was Tuesday, May 3.  Well, May 4 rolled around, and after a trip to the hospital where I was sent home, we were starting to get a little antsy!  Wednesday night my contractions continued and were getting more and more intense, and closer together.  Finally, at about 3 am, we headed to the hospital, and were admitted!  It hit then that by that evening, we would be holding Baby Poulsen and know finally if he was a he, or a she.

After laboring for so long, I was pretty exhausted and opted to get an epidural so I could rest before the delivery part of labor and delivery.  It was a great decision for Jake and I, and we were able to rest for the first time in a few days.  By the time 6:30 pm rolled around, Kate was ready to arrive, and I started pushing.  At 8:51, she made her appearance.  Apparently, right at that time in the waiting room, my mom turned to my dad and said "something has happened...the baby is here!"  I will never forget Jake telling me that she was a girl!  Our doctor told us after seeing her head that he thought she was a boy.  When she came out completely and he realized he was wrong, he said "just ignore I said that!"  We all had a good laugh at that.  After an hour of "skin to skin" contact and a quick first feeding, Kate was ready to meet her admirers.  Jake and I were so blessed to have so many people supporting us throughout the whole labor.  Some were able to be there to meet Kate, and sadly, some couldn't.  My parents, Cassie and Chris, and Erin were there to meet Kate when she was ready for visitors.  Jake's family was there in spirit, and we got to skype with them later that night so they could officially meet Ms. Kate. 

We spend Friday and Saturday in the hospital, and were blessed with the best nurses and staff!  We were discharged on Saturday, and came home to a huge stork in the yard, and an immaculate house, thanks to "Peepaw and Gigi."

Kate has just been a joy since moment one.  She is very alert, sleeps great, eats even better, and cries very little.  In fact, we all laughed because she doesn't cry really at all...just screams for a few seconds, and then calms down.  We call it her "0 to 60" reaction. 

Our blessings abound!

2 comments:

Darryl, Madeline, Caleb, and Jonah

what a blessing! enjoy every minute! it only gets better!

Ann-Marie Ulczynski

She's so beautiful, Court. You both look so happy. What a wonderful start to your family.

Post a Comment