CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

"I came that they might have life, and have it abundantly" -John 10:10

Keeping up with the Poulsen Family

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Brahm's Lullaby and our Nighttime routine!

One of the greatest blessings of so many babies in one year for our family (4!!), has been getting advice and watching family members raise babies, and seeing what works for us and our little Kate.  One thing I have really taken from Cassie is to establish a nighttime routine for a refreshing night sleep for both baby and mom and dad.  It's really cool to watch Abby go to bed if you ever get the chance- she needs her "Lovey" (only used to go to sleep), and sometimes her daddy to sing the Aggie war hymn.  In a combination that seems to be as potent as Nitequill and warm milk, the girl is out usually within a few minutes.  And, if she isn't, she plays by herself until she goes to sleep.  Now I'm sure there are a few rough nights, but for the most part, Abby is a wonderful sleeper!  I was telling Cass, though, that I hope she grows out of at least one of her night time routines, or else she will be a college freshman wondering why she always falls asleep when she hears the Fightin' Texas Aggie Band (and Uncle Jake really wouldn't like that)!

I write all this to say that we have worked hard to try to start a similar routine now that Kate is almost 2 months.  Lately, I have been putting her to sleep for her naps drowsy, but still awake to see if she can put herself to sleep.  And, she usually does!  Luckily, we haven't had any meltdowns from her yet, and I know it will be hard when she does cry, but it seems to work for us to let her fall asleep on her own.  The last few nights, we have done the same:  Jake will walk with her for about 5 minutes to get her sleepy (he's really good at the 5 S's), we pray with her, and I make sure to put her aquarium on playing Brahm's before I leave her room.  The last two nights, she has slept for more then 7 hours!

As we listen to the lullaby in our room through the baby monitor, I have started to say a silent prayer that goes along with it.  I know now, everytime I hear the lullaby, I will be brought back to these times: a beautiful era of watching our newborn daughter grow, learn, and be joyful in her own little way.  God has blessed us so much with such and abundant life.

My prayer for Kate to the tune of her favorite lullaby:
So Goodnight, and God Bless
May you sleep with the Angels
So Goodnight, and God Bless
I love you, My dear.


Kate, asleep before we could put her down!

1 comments:

Ann-Marie Ulczynski

Yay for a good bedtime routine! It makes all the difference in the world, especially when they get older. If you have the routine it keeps bedtime from being a power struggle. Good job parents! And how the heck did she get to be two months old already?!?

Post a Comment