CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

"I came that they might have life, and have it abundantly" -John 10:10

Keeping up with the Poulsen Family

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Jumping on the bandwagon- Our engagement story

I have loved reading the engagement stories of dear friends this past week.  I decided to play follow the leader and share Jake an I's story!

First, a little background info: 
In the summer of 2008, I had graduated and was working at the Pines, and Jake was taking his last few classes at A&M.  We had been dating for almost three years at that point (with one brief hiatus; which if you ask Jake about, he will happily explain to you the "big mistake" I made in dumping him  ;) ).  I knew an engagement was coming, but I didn't know Jake had already asked my dad and was working hard to afford a ring! 
Fast forward to October.  We both had just moved to Dallas.  I was still looking for a job, and Jake was working at Macaroni Grill.  I finally got an interview, and on Wednesday of that week, I was offered a job teaching Social Studies at West Junior High in Richardson.  I thought it was the best day since I graduated...but little did I know, the coming weekend was about to wrap up the best week of my life- now overshadowed by our wedding and honeymoon, and the birth of Kate. 

Now, the actual engagement story taken from my knot page.  Which, by the way, was so fun to go back and visit!  I haven't looked at that for almost 2 years :)  Excuse the third person usage.

Jake and Courtney had planned on joining Courtney's parents to watch the Aggies battle Kansas State on Kyle Field. As the game ended (badly), Jake told Courtney that he would meet her outside the stadium since he "had to go to the bathroom." Though Courtney thought it was slightly ridiculous that he couldn't have done this during the game so they could get home and out of the heat, she reluctantly agreed. When she and her parents were leaving Kyle Field, she saw her Aunt Rita and Uncle Lindy all the way in from San Antonio standing with a rose. They gave the rose to Courtney, along with a card that had instructions on it for Courtney to trust during the next journey, signed by Jake. It led her to another spot on campus where Chelsea, Courtney's twin sister was standing with another rose, and another card. Courtney was led to spots on campus that meant alot to the couple throughout their dating years, where her sister Cassie and some of the couple's closest friends and suprise guests (like Jake's mom all the way form TN!) were waiting with roses and more clues with sweet messages. The trail ended at St. Mary's chapel where Courtney and Jake had spent many hours in prayer. Jake met her outside, led her in the doors, where he asked her to be his wife. She, of course, said yes!
Jake surprised Courtney again by having almost a hundred of her friends and family waiting at her parent's house to congratulate and celebrate with the couple!


What a great day- and what a great decision on my part to say yes to a man who strives to lead me, and now our daughter, closer to Christ everyday.  And, he does a great job of calming down his "fireball" of a wife on a pretty consistent basis.

0 comments:

Post a Comment